“We are the church, and we exist for the world.”
The District Compassion expression is made up of Outreach Small Groups and individuals who are using their gifts and talents to glorify God by serving others. We serve others by demonstrating God’s love in practical ways by caring for the felt needs within our communities and sphere of influence. Simple and practical acts of kindness can open hearts to the love of Jesus for both those being served and those serving.
We want every person who is passionate about helping others to find the right opportunities to effectively use their gifts to build up the body of Christ and extend the Kingdom of God.
Serve Day 2017 – Make a Difference
JULY 15, 2017
Serve Day is an amazing opportunity to bless others and be blessed. Thousands will go out into our communities and show the love of Christ in real and tangible ways. District small groups will choose a project of their own that everyone can do together as a group on SERVE Day, so there will be many ways to get involved.
Begin by asking your small group members the following questions. Hopefully, the answers will help you develop a project that is a perfect fit for your group.
• Who in your neighborhood has a need?
• What business or organization within your sphere of influence could use a blessing?
• What project types best suit your group’s ages and abilities? (prayer, worship, teaching, physical labor, etc.)
• Host a free garage sale
• Bring free lunches to construction workers and servicemen in your area
• Hand out free gum at a local park
• Clean up a widow’s or single mom’s yard
• Give out free sunscreen at a city park
• Give out free bottled water
• Plan a “Back to School Bash” for foster care children. Have free food, games, and a backpack/school supply giveaway
• Give out free donuts and coffee at bus stop or shopping center
• Host a free car wash for the faculty
• Minor car repairs for elderly, widows and/or single mom’s
• Kids host a free kids toys and games garage sale
• Kids host a free lemonade stand
• Deliver fresh flowers to the residents
• Host a worship service at a nursing home (offer worship, devotions, prayer, and fellowship)
• Throw a “Senior Prom” complete with live music, food, and decorations
• Landscape a flower garden and sitting area for resident
• Have kids make crafts (necklaces, wooden crosses) that can be given to residents
• Distribute chips and sodas to residents & employees (check with staff on food restrictions)
• Tea Party
• Help the residents complete care packages for foster kids
• Band: Serve free drinks or snacks at their practices
• Sports teams: Serve free bottled water at their practices
• Give away free mechanical pencils or energy drinks to college students
• Host a free picnic in the quad.
• Give out free donuts and coffee on the quad
Special Needs/Youth Home
• Identify a family with a special needs child and give the family a Mom & Dad’s day out
• Adopt a group home for the day and throw a party for the residents
• Build a wheelchair ramp for handicapped
• Organize a field day for a group youth home
• Serve hot breakfast for the homeless in your community
• Do a community trash clean up
• Host a “Block Party” with free food, games, music, etc. for families
• Renovate a run-down playground or park in the area
• Do a door-to-door grocery giveaway
• Have a “Free Grass Cutting” day
• Serve free coffee, energy drinks, and snacks to staff and those waiting in the emergency room
• Give out healthy snacks to patients of chemotherapy
• Deliver small gifts to patients and families in the children’s ward (toys, care packages, etc)
• Prayer visits with patients and those in emergency room
• Take care-packages with snacks, sweets and small gift items (lotions, magazines, puzzles etc.) to families of hospitalized children.
Business/Service Organizations/Public Servicemen
• Wash windows
• Trash pick-up in parking lot
• Coral shopping carts to designated spaces
• Cook Lunch for your local police or fire station